Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Quality Family Time

The weekend after Jason's grad ceremony we decided to go on a whirlwind tour of his childhood home in Bergenfield, NJ. We decided to do this because he still needed to get stuff from the house his parents are selling there (they moved to Dallas a few months ago). This means I got to hang out with his dad again! I feel like a may have portrayed him unfairly in my last post but he is really quite a nice guy, and like Jason clearly very shy. However, in his semi-natural habitat of Bergenfield Jason's dad was much more relaxed and affable.

We only stayed for Saturday night but I got to take in the sights and sounds of Jason's life pre-college. We got pizza from The Sub King a little hole in the wall several blocks away from his house that had "the best pizza in world" according to Jason (he takes his pizza very seriously, kind of like me and pesto). Then we went on a lovely walk (which turned into death march 2008 for me who stupidly wore black jeans and didn't bring sandals...apparently the further south you go the warmer it gets...). I did get to see his elementary school, little league playing field, middle school and high school, not to mention the "downtown," and Historic Mill House. All of this was lovingly documented by Jason with his new camera.

On Sunday morning we drove back up to Boston unloaded the car, took Jason's dad to the Arboretum to see the lilacs (gorgeous!), then to Jamaica Pond, and finally Buhkara for dinner. As quickly as he had come Jason's dad left the next day, which was ok because it meant we got to go to the beach with all of Jason's UEP friends! And then Bobbie's b-day dinner that night! It was delicious to see Bobbie and I guess the food was good too. Eric and Krishna and I got to make fun of the waitress behind her back which was mean but amusing, and obviously entirely Eric's fault.

I imagine some things happened last week, but they're not that interesting.

This past weekend Steph and I went home to Royalston because it was our uncle's b-day. We got up early to pick up a Tirimisu cake from Mikes Pastries and then took it on the commuter rail train all the way to Fitchburg! Then there was bbq chicken, potato salad and spinich salad (with crazy dressing that I'm still not sure what it is). It was a good time but all too short because Steph and I had to report back to Boston by Sunday evening since she had Field School and I had work on Monday morning.

Last night I went to the UEP pickup softball game to cheer Jason and his buddies on. It was very nice out and there was beer which helped greatly, and while they lost I would have to say in my expert opinion that they played very well.

1 comment:

Nina B. said...

Your blog entries read like children's books. And I love them.