Saturday, November 10, 2007

WTF?

I did not get the job and I am still sick.

* * *

Last week I picked up a book at the Harvard Book Store (downstairs in the used section of course) of collected short stories by Louisa May Alcott, which I just noticed was published by the Northeastern University Press (granted in 1995).

I forgot that "short story" in the 1800's definitely means small novel. I am half way done with one story and it is pretty good so far.

This is what wikipedia has to say about her short stories:

"
A lesser-known part of her work are the passionate, fiery novels and stories she wrote, usually under the pseudonym A. M. Barnard. These works, such as A Long Fatal Love Chase and Pauline's Passion and Punishment, were known in the Victorian Era as "potboilers" or "blood-and-thunder tales." Her character Jo in "Little Women" publishes several such stories but ultimately rejects them after being told that they are "dangerous for little minds." Their protagonists are willful and relentless in their pursuit of their own aims, which often include revenge on those who have humiliated or thwarted them. These works achieved immediate commercial success and remain highly readable today."

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

boo and boo. I am especially sorry you didn't get the job because you totally deserved it. So sorry monkey :(

Nina B. said...

You're better than that job, anyway.

I love Little Women... not in a pedophilic way, of course. More like the little woman that is Sophia from the Golden Girls.

I hope you're feeling better, booboo.

Unknown said...

Lol are you reading old dirty novels? Ahh the fiery passions.

I'm sorry you did not get the job that you clearly should have gotten. And also that you're sick (so am I, if it helps).

Down with the plague!
Make Jason make you tea.