Thursday, November 29, 2007

Appreciating the lives of others through the interweb:

Julie, I envy you.

Bobbie: adorable.

Nina, I must say you certainly are rocking those boots better than I expected. Actually, someone recently featured (for fashion) in the Improper Bostonian was definitely wearing a very similar pair (just goes to show your excellent taste). I would have a link but their website is not so much "working".

I also checked out Nina's link to salon.com's broadsheet and was quite appalled (which I hope is the same way Nina felt) by the article which discussed another article (This Holiday, Equality Is for the Birds) essentially about "traditional" gender roles being preferable on holidays like Thanksgiving. Supposedly, women stay in the kitchen domain and men in the living room not because they feel obligated, but rather because it is their choice.

One woman is quoted as saying

"I love that my daughter is in there with us. She sees that we're there not because we're obligated but because we love it. I'm there not because it's my place but because it's my space. There's a difference. I've chosen it. You learn about your family or friends' culinary traditions, and I think the men stay away out of respect."

I'm worried about the children. Obviously, This woman's daughter likes hanging out with her mom and co. in the kitchen and her son likes being with his father. Great, that's pretty touching and sounds like a wonderful time. But what if things were different, what if the son liked hanging out in the kitchen and the daughter liked to hang out with dad? The article is not as much about equality (as the title implies) but rather about a person's comfort zone. Individuals are socialized to accept or at least understand certain roles. Women often feel comfortable in the kitchen so they "choose" that space. Men often feel more comfortable, well (for the purposes of this post) just not in the kitchen, so the "choose" to go elsewhere.

But I'm preaching to the choir so I'll just stop. So that I don't have to say these things anymore go here.

Work is obviously going very slowly. I think I'm supposed to work on compiling some sort of email list, but the boss is gone. End of story.

An exciting project I have coming up is working with Jesse to make a recycled outfit or two for the fashion show that NU's SEA (Students for Environmental Actions) is putting on. We are very excited, especially because we've decided to make Carlotta and Peter (the new adorable couple in PSA) be our models. This definitely acts as a creative outlet after watching Project Runway, which has somewhat lost it's novelty, but is still at times fascinating (clearly from a sociological perspective of course...)

Apparently there is another "Thanksgiving 2" planned with Jason's friends that I will proably end up going to, which will actually be my 4th.

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

I love the blogging. It makes me very happy and allows me to feel much more connected to everyone. Plus it is a great distraction.

(I do not want to write these last two papers. Whine. Whine. Whine.)

Anyway, there is no such thing as unconstrained, non-socially influenced individual choice, stupid people... the choir agrees. I cannot wait to be less saturated by sociology so that I can appreciate it more.

I'm jealous of the project runway-esque project.

Are you looking for other jobs? It is very noble of you not to bite your thumb at water-world. :)

Nina B. said...

Yes, I was apalled. Don't you love Broadsheet?

And thank you for the comment about the boots. Was the Improper doing Boston's best dressed? That would certainly make sense.